HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pitbulls for Upland Birds?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Mrswhla
Spike

Originally Posted by Hunting the North
Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

I started hunting grouse and pheasants with friends last year here in Minnesota and now am totally hooked on it. I do not have a dog but just last week my 19 year old daughter showed up with a 12 week old pitbull. He was so smart, friendly and cute, we could not let him go. After doing some research on the internet about that breed, a saw some info about the pitbull being able to bird hunt. Just wanted to get some info from you guys. I already have him trained to retrieve toys and drop them in front of me.

Thanks
If the dog has the drive to hunt, the nose and isn't afraid of guns, it's totally possible. We have a 2 year old APBT who is a great "bird dog". We started with dummy birds, hiding them here and there. He has the nose for it and the drive. They will point also. One of their deadliest weapons is their tail lol.. it will be straight out when they're onto something. My husband had to retire his yellow lab, who was also a great bird hunting dog. When I got Junior, the pit, I could tell right away he had the drive for it. He actually retrieves better than our Retreiver and he's more gentle. As for other dogs out on the field, he could care less. He's there to do a job and that's all he cares about.