HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter, Advice on Processing?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Daveboone
Fork Horn

Good for you for wanting to get into processing yourself. That said, the quality of your meat will be directly proportionate to the care it gets in the field and in processing: Cool quickly, keep it (including the field dressed carcass) scrupulously clean, and having an appropriate clean /cool place to process it. If you are immediately skinning and quartering, you can wrap on plastic and put in the freezer until have more time. If it is warm, I do not hesitate to get it to a processor (I strongly recommend tracking one down ahead of time). I wont risk the meat turning for the cost. There have been a few occaisions when I simply didn't have an appropriate place to butcher.
Work for that, hope for that, but until you are able to promptly get to the meat and process it in a clean area, it is ok to err on the side of having it done. I usually clear my work bench and cover it with heavy plastic sheeting, and put my clean cutting boards on it. Watch the videos, if chance permits help someone else do a few, and just keep in mind the more you do, the better the results. It is unlikely anyone is going to put out butcher shop quality roasts, steaks, etc. starting out...but it will still taste like venison!