HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another Win Model 70 thread
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 07:07 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by homers brother
I'm late to the party here, but since this is a "reloading" thread... I see you're doing all the standard experiments, but I'm not seeing much data on your loads. For starters, I don't find that IMR4350, though it's one of my clear favorites, is the "do-all" for every cartridge. How's your loading process? When I was young, I was all about stuffing the fastest load listed for my powder into the case and topping it with a cool bullet. For hunting, those "garage loads" were usually fine, but really no better - and usually worse, accuracy-wise - than factory loads. It wasn't until I started shooting competitively past 600 yards that I got serious about my loading processes.

I see that you're posting what I'm assuming are velocities, so I'm assuming that you're using a chronograph? What are the stats behind them? Extreme spread? Standard Deviation?
HB - I'm very consistent in my loading process from case prep right up through bullet seating. My extreme spread between the 60.0 and 60.6 range was very good at about 5 -7 fps on the 60.0 and 60.3 charge and I believe it was 11 on the 60.6. As you can see in my original post that the average difference between the 60.0 and 60.6 was only 13 fps! That is the reason I settled on the 60.3 gr charge. I then went and began adjusting my bullet seating depth.
I was having accuracy issues with this rifle since I purchased it used. And if you go to my other thread in the "Guns" forum you will see why. I believe it is a bedding issue. I currently have the stock/action in the vise while the epoxy is curing. I hope this resolves my problem.