HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird Dog training
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM
270sniper
Fork Horn

I would get a trainer. Back in the late 1990s I sent my 11 month old English pointer to a trainer who also was the owner of a shooting preserve so they always had pheasants on site. and they had my dog for 1 month

The reason I sent my dog away was because the wife and I were going on a cruise and it was more expensive to board the dog for a week then send the dog away for training. I think it cost me $300. back then for a month of training. I also was able to checkup on the dog"s progress and I would drive out once a week or every 10 days and observe the trainer working with the dog.

When I picked up the dog after his training the guy was impressed with the dog and offered to buy the dog from me. My dog was steady to wing and shot and only had a few commands. If he went to far left or right I would say "Hup" and he would work his way back in front of me. If I wanted him to stop I would tell him "Whoa." if he was to far ahead I would tell him "close." If he was on point and after I shot I would release him by tapping the side of his rear.

I shot a lot of game over him. he would also point grouse. turkeys. woodcock, rabbits, groundhogs etc.