HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another Win Model 70 thread
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 04:57 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I responded to your PM without putting two and two together about which bullet you’re using. I had an early morning conference call with my operations team, we’re a global group so I was up early to overlap, and not quite focused on the question, so I apologize for that.

NBT’s are typically very forgiving for jump, so I’m not surprised they shot well even with a large jump, but usually I expect them to shoot better than that at short jump.

As far as bedding the action, here’s my logic:

1) I don’t want any external influences on my barrels, so I free float my barrel.

2) That freefloating mass has powerful leverage to shift the action in the stock, so I know I need to fully support the action, such I bed my actions.

3) If I expect consistent support, I need to eliminate opportunity for variability in action bolt tension pulling the action into the bedding. Almost all common stock materials are at least somewhat malleable, and otherwise sensitive to one or another influence. Wood stocks especially can vary dimensionally with environmental shifts, polymer stocks can warp in heat or flex with shooter pressure, and all 3 non-metal materials, polymer, composite/fiberglass/carbon fiber, and wood can crush slightly over time and pressure. So I pillar block my actions.

Of course, that doesn’t happen on the bench in that actual order, but only describes my logical pathway. “Can’t have one, without the other.”

I also use a magnetic base dial indicator to measure the efficacy of my bedding jobs. If anything moves, I start over.