HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter: How do I Actually Get a Deer?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Yes and no. Yes, it is a bit of a fool's errand because they will have a lifelong learning curve (we all do) and not all lessons are learned in a book, forum post, YouTube video or even watching a bunch of hunting shows/videos. However, I'd have to say no also because one can learn a lot from reading and watching. Each post above (that also includes yours) has some nuggets of hard learned lessons (some over decades or even a lifetime) that the OP can learn from. It doesn't mean the OP will get it right the first time he tries to apply that knowledge or even the 5th or 10th time. But, if the OP considers the information everybody has posted above and uses that to think through his experiences each time in the woods either hunting, scouting or even just sitting in a chair in his backyard while watching the woods, he will find more of it makes sense and will figure out through trial and error (like the rest of us) how to make that knowledge work better for him and how to adjust it to work for his abilities, preferred hunting style and terrain, etc.

Besides, if your above emboldened premise were correct, most of us would be wasting out time on this board.

I think you missed my point, trying to tell someone how to be successful is a fools errand, however trying to "teach" someone how to hunt and be successful has a good chance of being productive. Pointing someone in the right direction in the form of finding a mentor or an organization that has lots of experienced members that can help a newbie is the difference, when someone says tell me how to do this or that, they should be saying "teach me! Which was the point of my post.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.