HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter: How do I Actually Get a Deer?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:58 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Trying to tell someone who never hunted how to hunt and be successful is a fools errand. They have nothing to relate what you tell them to, The best way to teach someone to hunt is to show them, and slowly teach them all the nuances that those of us who have hunted for decades and are successful have learned over the years. There is no instant way to impart lifetimes of experience to a newbie, although sometimes there is dumb luck, which can be worse than failure because it may impart false confidence. Whenever I see these tell me how to hunt (name a species) and be successful I want to shout out, it isn't that easy or simple, it is a process that takes dedication and trial and error and the knowledge that there will be failure before the pieces come together or, and this is the best way, a good mentor to show the way. Hunting is different than baseball and football and other sports where there are written rules and officials that keep you on track, the only rule book is the law,which really has nothing to do with the learned skills of hunting. I guess what I am trying to say is that hunting takes dedication and the ability to learn from your mistakes and use them as a lesson of what not to do and over the years you will find yourself understanding what is going on in the woods and fields and use that knowledge to be successful in what you expect the return to be. For some that is harvesting the species you are hunting and for others it is harvesting an exceptional example of that species. Success means different things to different people. That is why when I see a post on the internet, saying I want to hunt deer, tell me how to do it and be successful I want to say, how many years do you have to take instruction.