HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boone & Crockett rules
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Many states already “ban” night vision or thermal imaging optics from use while hunting. Kansas, as an example, prohibits use of any optic which emits light towards game, and use of those which intensify light. They’ve gone on record to say they consider thermal imaging, reading infrared “light,” to be in this class, and equally prohibited.

It’s a dumb law, to be honest. Again in Kansas, for example, we are allowed to hunt coyotes all night long, but not with the use of artificial light. So occasionally someone shoots a dog, or a goat, or a calf... all the while, having a rifle in your truck, and a spotlight, constructively constitutes poaching in our state. Naturally, thousands of ranchers across the state have both a high powered rifle AND a high powered spotlight in their truck, both for lawful purposes. I have the ability, however, to use a night vision monocular to locate and identify coyotes, then shoot with an illuminated reticle optic (non-night vision capable).

There’s no functional difference whether I use a Burris Eliminator or a Burris XTR + a Sig Kilo rangefinder. There’s almost no difference in using a night vision monocular to locate and identify coyotes, then take a shot with a non NV optic. I killed hundreds of coyotes in the dark with “dumb scopes” before night vision was available, and still can. I’m just less apt to kill my neighbor’s dog or a stray calf if I have access to night vision.

But to the true topic - Boone & Crockett have a lot of stupid restrictions. Bow let off requirements, no pin lights, draw weight maximums, etc. All stuff that’s just stupid to pretend they have a valid claim to a certain record, and a means to disqualify someone who doesn’t kowtow to their rules.