HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Clear cut?
Thread: Clear cut?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
It is still being cut as I write this. It appears that they are leaving some of the tops on the ground. Not much new growth yet cause they are still dragging logs out. I was told that they hope to be done by deer season, and the loggers have said that they see deer every day in the areas that they have cut. It will be interesting to see how things transpire over the next 10 years or so. The second growth stuff that is going to come out will be near impossible to hunt as it will be too thick. I have been told, that if I cut trails thru the second growth that the deer will use them and I can set a stand accordingly. I will have to wait and see. Unfortunately, the logging of this area will concentrate the hunters that hunt this State Forest into the few areas that remain un-touched causing crowded hunting conditions. I may have to scope out some new areas to hunt until the second growth gets established.

If a large area is being logged, the deer get used to it and equate the sound of chain saws to food and it is not unusual fr the deer to come right into the areas being logged and eat while they are cutting trees.