HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ocw
Thread: Ocw
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well I'm not going to be shooting matches with mine. It will last me the rest of my life (however long God wants me to stay here). I just want the humble satisfaction of dinging steel plates or rocks at various distances with a rifle that is shooting to the best of its ability. I have a couple places near my house that I can set up to and take shots at game out to about 500 yards should i get proficient enough to do so.
Get a couple 66% IPSC targets, 4 Shepherd Crook plant hangers from a local Garden Center, hanging bolts and 4 lengths of chain 18” long. Throw them out there at 500. Chronograph your load, establish a solid 100yrd zero. Put the velocity and bullet BC into Hornady’s online ballistic calculator. Print your 500yrd group on the left hand 66% target, and refine it to confirm on the right hand target.

As mentioned in another thread here this week, your target often dictates your group potential. 66% IPSC’s give great reference for square edges and aiming references. They’re 2.3moa wide by 3.8moa tall (3.0moa body, minus head), plenty to aim at for even a 3-9x scope, all the better for a higher magnification optic. Placing small groups on 66% IPSC’s as a development process is simple and straightforward.

The most important advice I can give - go shoot it. I recently took an old high school friend I had not seen in over 15yrs to a match with me. He had bought a Bergara B14 HMR over a year ago. Had never fired it past 400yrds, and wanted to get out to 1,000 “someday.” He posted as much on Facebook, which I rarely use, but that Sunday, I did, and I noticed his post. Within 6 days, I had his BC trued, velocity confirmed and he made impacts at 1088yrds during the match - connecting on his second shot ever past 1,000. Nothing magic, just making an opportunity to go do it, and then acting upon it. He hit a full size IPSC, 18” wide at 1,088 yards on his second shot, and hit it again with a 3rd. Can he shoot smaller? Probably. But on the clock, in a dynamic field position, and only with calculated data, connecting 2 out of 3, only missing once due to the 20+ mph wind value, it checked a box for him.