HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet type?
Thread: Bullet type?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

This is an unpopular opinion these days....

Aside from the difference between accuracy and precision.

And I admit, it sounds bad saying it.... But hear me out.

How much accuracy (precision) do you need? In the not so distant past if a deer rifle shot 4 moa it was plenty good to go. And people killed allot of deer that way. I wouldn't be satisfied with a 4moa rifle as my primary deer rifle.... But I could certainly kill deer every year with it if I wanted to.

Now... HUNTERS strive for an extra half moa. That's great stuff off a bench in prime conditions. It's necessary for competitive shooters. And there's certainly NOTHING wrong with being more accurate or precise.

But is there a difference between 1" and 2" under hunting conditions at standard ranges? I'm guessing, and this guess is backed by observation at plenty of ranges and in the woods, that if you set allot of these guys up to shoot under field conditions that their 1/2" moa rifle is suddenly a 6moa rifle.

And you can probably guess how well they'll shoot by how they hold the rifle and their body position behind it when they get set up. Allot of guys have no idea how to fire offhand, sitting, kneeling, etc. They have no idea how to fire when they're breathing hard, or when they're shivering. But they'll spend thousands of dollars squeaking out another 1/4moa and think they're good to go. But if the rifle isn't in their "lead sled" it's about worthless to them.

I'd much rather see a person spend time practicing field position shooting, and lots of it, over shooting boxes off the bench to find which one shoots 1moa vs 1 1/4 moa

Obviously the best answer is to find the load your rifle shoots best and then practice practice practice.

But that is not realistic, financially or time wise, for many people.

That's a long post to not say anything really related to the OPs question. Other than don't necessarily get caught up on chasing that MOA need. If you have a load that shoots "well enough" in each rifle, buy a bunch and practice, then go kill some deer!
​​​​

-Jake