HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ocw
Thread: Ocw
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Load development based on small 100yrd groups wins 100/200yrd benchrest matches. Load development which focuses upon consistency in velocity and bullet POI at range is what wins precision rifle matches, F-class, and 600/1000yrd BR matches. Why? Well, because large spreads in velocity and harmonic position will not show up at 100-200yrds, but certainly will present themselves as vertical in 1,000yrd groups. 50fps spread in muzzle velocity elicits 10” of extra, unresolved vertical at 1000yrds, whereas it only introduces 0.1” of unresolved vertical dispersion in a 100yrd group. You’ll easily notice 10” of extra vertical in a 1,000yrd group - not many guys will honestly be able to pin down an extra 0.1” in vertical in a 100yrd group.

As for horizontal stringing in groups - to be honest, I’m well-bedded rifles, with a good cheekweld, fired from a front rest and bag, or bipod and bag, I don’t see horizontal shifts with the same bullet, simply by changing charge weights.

In the last three years, I have started using the Satterlee method, with an OCW twist. I need SOMETHING to shoot at, so I put up an OCW type array, and shoot my velocity curves three fold, shooting round robin groups on different POA’s. I do this at an indoor range, just to get velocities, so I break Newberry’s convention that it should be done at 300+. Here’s a target from one of my node confirmation tests this summer - every .2gr from 41.0 to 42.4. The offset from center is caused by the Magnetospeed V3 hanging from the suppressor - note, there’s about 3/8” of vertical shift in the groups, maybe anomalous, but only maybe an 1/8” in horizontal centroid location.

Attached Images