HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paper Patching Tip
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 PM
Idaholewis
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Lewis, unlike your bullets, mine don't have a hollow cavity to tuck the tail into. Would you know what the effect of the tail length would have on the paper patched bullet.
I know the patch comes off immediately after leaving the muzzle.
The Twisted Paper Tails are another thing the BPCR Guy’s are REAL STICKLERS about! And it makes VERY good sense to me Why, The Bullet Base is what actually steers the Bullet, NOT the Nose.

I believe 1/8” Thick Wool Felt is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to go, especially if you choose to leave a Twisted Tail on your Patch, it is my theory, and my Theory ONLY that Wool would be more forgiving, allowing the Twisted Tail to “Form” in the Wad, Where as a HARD Vege Fiber Type, or LDPE (Poly) Would NOT be Forgiving

With a Twisted Paper Tail hanging from the Bullet Base, there is NO POSSIBLE Way to make each Twisted Tail Identical, or load them identical etc. EVERY Tail will be slightly different. The Twisted Tail has no choice but to Fold over to one side or the Other. As i state in my Paper Patching Video, Think about the last influence that is made on the Bullet as it exits the Bore? You see how the Wad COULD have a Negative effect on the Bullet Base With a Twisted Paper Tail folded over in NO TELLING what direction as it exits the Bore? I believe there is a VERY GOOD Reason why the SERIOUS Competition Guy’s are STICKLERS on Twisted Paper Tails, and a Shallow Cupped base Bullet being a more sought after Paper Patch design, as it allows you a Place to get RID of the Twisted Tail.

With a Flat Base design bullet I advise Playing with Patch Height and Tightly “Tucking” the Paper Patch instead of Twisting a Tail. In the end your Bullet should Stand Perfectly when placed on a Flat Surface (Think of how you want the Bullet to Exit the Bore). This is obviously not possible with a Twisted Paper Tail, They Tip Over.

Here is a Picture of a nicely “Tucked” Paper Tail, This is NOT my Photo, But it represents how i Patch a Flat Base Bullet, I don’t have a Good Photo of my own showing my Tucked Bases, My pictures all Show my Bullets Standing. Whoever “Tucked” this Patch did a VERY Nice job on it

And here you can see how PERFECT they Stand with a “Tucked” Tail