HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter - need advice
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zachboi
So i am actually 26 years old but i figured this would be a good start because i literally have zero hunting experience. I want to start hunting alone since every time I ask someone else to take me, the schedule doesn't line up or something comes up on their end. so since i am completely new to hunting. where do i start? is there a guide i can read that will tell me everything i need to know from start to finish? I am very savy with guns and what ammo and optics I should be using but finding, skinning, stalking, skinning, and butchering an Elk, or anything for that matter, i have no clue where to start. thanks in advance for any help.
There is no substitute for having a mentor to show a new hunter the ropes. Did you take and pass your hunter education course yet and get your card to purchase a license? Since you want to start at the apex of big game with elk it would probably be a good idea to make your first hunt a guided hunt where you would have an experienced hunter taking you out and showing your the ropes and answering questions. You can read all the books on the market and watch all the "how to" videos but the best teacher is a live one who knows what they are doing. Possibly you would consider a guided deer hunt to start with and work your way up to elk. Most hunters start with small game and work their way up to big game, at least when I started hunting it was that way. It would be unusual for anyone to become an instant successful big game hunter and no book or video can take the place of an experienced mentor. Good luck in your future hunting endeavors.