HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - summer
Thread: summer
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Bummer on the garden CI. Can you get any depredation permits?
No not for a home non commercial garden. The Island is flat about 10 miles long and no more than 2 miles wide. The land is mainly agricultural and wooded on the interior and with vacation and high end homes along the water where I live. Almost all the land is private and there are way too many posted signs to allow a reasonable harvest to keep numbers down. Winters are harsh here in Vermont but the Island actually has a milder climate due to the influence of Lake Champlain which is huge. The state understands we have too many deer and issue more and more doe permits but since most of the land is posted not that many deer are harvested. I am thinking next year that I may have to put a fixed 5 to 6 foot fence up if I want to keep them out. It seems as time goes on they are getting smarter and more brazen. I have 4 ornamental cedars that grow tall and skinny. The bases of all 4 are now skin and bones as high as the deer can reach. That started last year during the winter when deer really go for cedar and they are still eating it which is strange since there is so much other stuff to eat.