HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - summer
Thread: summer
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 01:42 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Most of my hunting is dealing with and trying to prevent crop damage. I've spent many a night sitting guard on a ripe grain field.

Here Hogs are the main culprits and ours are way smart. They wait until a ragging storm or the darkest nights to raid a field. I've watched them follow a zig-zag path that takes them as far as possible away from high seats and shooting towers.

I spent weeks watching over a field of Strawberries, they were finally harvested, crated stacked and awaiting a morning pickup. A serious thunderstorm moved through, vision was maybe 10 yards. The next morning the aftermath was horrendous, the Hogs had tipped over most of the crates and destroyed almost all of the crop.

I've seen Hogs destroy five acres of ripe grain or Corn in a single night.

The Fox get into the stacked Hay rolls and set up housekeeping. A half dozen rolls reek of Ammonia, the Cows refuse to eat the stuff. I've hunted Fox in a graveyard. Fox are diggers, it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what the possibilities are. One farmer was raising a thousand eating Ducks. The Fox hit him almost every night. It took the Fox maybe four months to wipe him out. Those Fox were smarter than me, I only got one, I hit it with my Jeep by accident.