HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Turkey Hunting Memory
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM
redmag
Fork Horn

I was hunting the George Washington National Forest in Hardy Co., WV. I had camped overnight in a clearing just across from the old forest road I intended to use to get deep into the mt. As I was locking up my camper a vehicle screeched to a halt across the dirt road from me and and the guy jumped out and started hastily up the road. He had to see me so I started out after him and eventually caught up and he said he was going to a spot that I knew of but wasn't in my direction. At just before daybreak a bird sounded off across a hollow from me so I headed over there and got setup about 60 yds from him (still dark). He gobbled a couple of times and then I thought I heard a person call and in the early light as it looked as though a field was beyond the bird and the call was coming from there. After a short time he flew down right where it looked like was the edge of the field. He would gobble occasionally but was walking back and forth for a distance of 20-25 yds. parallel to me and was maybe 15 ft wide. I never saw the hen until he bred her. All of this occurred between daybreak and 9:30. He bred her and I don't know where she went. He stood there a bit and turned on a dime and began walking straight toward me. At 25 yds. I drew down on his head, the gun roared and he flew away untouched. I had been unable to move for about 3 hours, my butt was killing me and I guess I didn't get down on the gun right. I went over to the area from where he was gobbling, but what I thought was a field in the predawn was a cliff. I was worn out from watching, hoping, calling, and discomfort. A couple of years later I moved to that area and became good friends with the guy that I felt had run in on me. Of course, his story was just the other way around. Either way we'd always call each other guy out. He passed away last fall with an enormous stash of turkey beards.