HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - where do people get the idea that they need more power
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

Ive used a S&W revolver chambered in 44 mag for 4 plus decades, a 300 grain lyman or lee gas check bullet sized .431
cast from 95% WW alloy and 5% tin over 21 grains of h110 may not be exotic but its reliable
I hand load for my B.I.L. and his 357 mag, and several guys with 45 lc, and 445 DWSM,and 500 S&W mags,
its shot placement,and the skill and persistence of the guy holding the hand gun, that matters.
power is not all that critical, they are all lethal in skilled hands.
now theres zero question that a 500 mag is far more powerful, than the 357 mag,
but hit a deer or hog correctly with either one, and they tend to drop rather rapidly.
theres zero question the 500 mag hits a lot harder , that does not result in a deader deer or hog, but it may result in getting faster results
once your revolver and ammo of choice easily punches holes completely through game from most angles,
you are adept at placing bullets where they should go and youve got a good knowledge of the games anatomy,and you can quickly place your shots accurately,
at common ranges, and the projectiles reliably expand during the process more power is not a huge benefit in my opinion

Florida Whitetail Experience
suggested bullet weights
357 mag= 158 grain-180 grain
41 mag= 220 grain-250 grain
44 mag= 270 grain-320 grain
45 caliber -300 grain-350 grain
480 caliber 350 grain-400 grain
50 caliber 400 grain-480 grain
don,t think a 357 mag can,t be effective, it is,
but its not in the same class as the larger magnums
btw back in the 1970s my B.I.L. started talking about buying a 44 mag revolver ,
to replace his 8.3/8" mod 27 357 mag, so I loaned him my 44 and took his 357 mag on loan,
he purchased a couple boxes of 44 mag ammo and went out and shot a few beer cans too get a feel for my revolver...

on the first hunt , I was using his 357 mag, I was using a reasonably warm 158 grain factory ammo
we were both sitting on a tree stand , that was a sheet of plywood in a large oak,
and a nice 4x4 white tail walked out, at about 70 yards,

I took careful aim, squeezed off a shot, the buck broke into a frantic dash for the next county,
but went nose first into the dirt inside of 25 yards on the second bound... my B.I.L, decided on the spot..
to ask for his revolver back... and had decided on the spot his need for a larger caliber revolver was just not, all that pressing.
he had lacked confidence in his revolver, but realized it was shot placement not power that was critical.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-15-2019 at 04:42 AM.