HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - where do people get the idea that they need more power
Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

Default where do people get the idea that they need more power

At times I have too wonder...where do people get the idea that they need more power in a handgun too hunt deer?
one of my neighbors stopped by last evening with a ruger 45lc revolver with a 7.5" barrel, he was talking about trading it in on a newer 480 ruger revolver,
now I like the new ruger 480 revolver with the 6.5" barrel but they are rather expensive.
now I know hes never hunted anything with a revolver , but he said he had read a few articles saying that the 45 lc revolver was,
significantly less powerful than a 44 mag,
and he was under the opinion he might have to trade in his 45 lc for something, more powerful,and if that was the case,
well the 480 ruger looked like it might be what he was looking for?
the first thing I pointed out was that the current ruger 45 LC with proper handloads was more than required ,
and there was little need in spending a ton of cash on a new revolver,
I offered to hand load some perfectly safe ammo and let him get into hunting local wild hogs as a way too get started gaining experience.
I pointed out that, for decades my b-i-l has used a 357 mag revolver and a marlin lever action 357 mag and has been successful,
and that with proper hand loads a 45 lc was just as effective as a 44 mag.
now I fully appreciate the power of a 480 ruger , I think its one of the best hunting calibers available ,
but its power level is certainly not required to hunt deer and hogs around here where ranges seldom exceed 50 yards.

I suggested he order this mold and matching gas checks
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...nose-gas-check
measure the cylinder forcing cone diam. bullets should be at or marginally larger
16 grains of 2400 powder was a long standing and well proven safe load in a ruger 45 lc

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-04-2019 at 02:13 PM.