HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how far can you see?..vs how far can you see GAME?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

how far you can see a deer and , or shot is a load question
how far can I see and how far can I see a deer tend to be the same, as if I see at "X" rabge, if a deer is in view I can see it as well as most things about it?(to a point of cource, sure I can see a tractor trailer farther than I can see a deer standing afar!)

as out in many places I hunted I could see way farther than any rifle I own could be used(I have owned a several .50 bmg bolt action riffles too)
I could see a few miles off on a regular basis, yet cannot or would never even considering taking a shot at 2+ miles? and doubt anyone else would either
(or even half that and then some LOL)
SO< how far can I see a deer , and how far can I shoot
been shooting 1,000 yard matches since the late 80's
and have shot a LOT farther than that and been very good at it!
but I still wouldn;t shoot at a deer as far as I do targets!, even knowing I can hit them!
HOW far are my average kills on whitetails with a rifle, I never tried to figure that out, as with many in the 500-750+ yards,
as well as many in the 3-30 yards , and a few hundred deer kills, s not sure where the math would work out, as I never kept track of distances of all kills!
but a guess would be about a 150 yards
I also, am not a guy that see's the point of sighting in a rifle for a 300 yard zero , if I shoot most at way less, it seems silly to me!
you can learn the dope of your rifle/bullet caliber t
WHY bother, the reverse deal is the same, if farther aim the adjusted higher, or better yet, have a scope you can adjust in field and know how to use it, and have a ZERO at the average range your shots are at!
after all this is a modern era of so many options of scopes today to not have to rely on sighting in High for WHAT IF shots in the field!