HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Selection of Rangefinder
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 03:46 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You do not need a Leica or other top shelf range finder for archery hunting. I bought a Halo for under $100.00 and it measures the same as some friend's high end range finders out to 150 yards, I stood shoulder to shoulder with friends with expensive units and took reading, mine and theirs were within a yard of each other and I use mine for rifle hunting, about half of my rifle deer hunting is in archery hunting range and the rest out to 65 yards due to where I hunt. My Halo gave me a range of 150 yards on my elk last Nov and I hit it right where I aimed. I have nothing against the top end glass, I just try not to spend more than I need to to get the job done.
Agreed, but if he also does rifle hunting and has the opportunity for longer shots like agriculture land or western hunting then he should get one that can do it all and get it over and done with. I hunt all seasons and I've come to the conclusion that my RS-II is OK, it is not reliable enough for reading past 300-350 yards on non-reflective targets. But for bowhunting or for the guy that isn't capable of making 300+ shots then it is ideal.