HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sand Hill Crane help . . .
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Timbrhuntr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
I've decided to go after some this fall and know little or nothing about taking them. Here's my situation. I will be basically spot & stalk them as I have no decoys. I have watched them last year on some Antelope property I hunt and they were "grazing" in groups of 50 - 100 birds!. There will be large bails strewn throughout the property for some cover.
Here in Wyoming, you have to use shotgun. This is where I get fuzzy. My shotgun is a mid 50's Winchester Model 97 with a fixed FULL choke and 2 3/4" chamber. I've been told to use only lead which will be legal. But I am unsure which shot to use. Again, I will be trying to stalk them so I will probly be reaching out 50 yards +.
I would say that at a minimum you should take out you shotgun and shoot it at various ranges to see what type of pattern you get. I know a number of guys using TSS handloads that are shooting and killing coyotes at crazy ranges with the stuff. So test your gun to see exactly how far you can shoot and keep a killing pattern !
Check out this video pretty cool and the guys appears to have home made decoys that look easy to make up and an easy straw hide if you decide to go that way !