HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German jagdterrier
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

There was a sounder of Hogs in a giant ripe Cornfield (half a section) and the farmer wanted them out of there. We turned ten or so German Drahtharr, my Weimaraner and a couple of German shorthair pointers loose in the Cornfield. Those hounds ran those Hogs until the Dogs were completely worn out and never managed to drive them out of the Corn. The group of hunters I was with asked for ideas, mine was to try Terriers and see what happened, maybe they could move through the Corn easier.
So much for my bright idea, those Hogs ran those Terriers back and forth through the Cornfield for hours but the Dogs finally managed to drive them out of the Corn. The trouble started when the Hogs ran through a pasture full of Cows with the Terriers still in pursuit. The Terriers were so worked up they forgot all about the Hogs and went after the Cows. Four or five of them latched onto one cow who broke through the fence and went running down the main street of a nearby village with most of the Terriers still hanging on. A good idea gone way wrong. I can laugh about it now but at the time my face was really red.