HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German jagdterrier
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Idaholewis
Fork Horn

Jagdterriers are AWESOME little Hunting Dogs, I had planned to use mine as a “Hole Dog” on Coon, It was very common to have Coon go in the Ground, A good little Jagd will go in and Lock up Face to Face and Bring him to the Surface I seen it MANY times with my Little Female. My Little dog wasn’t a great Pet though, I loved her to pieces, But she was the kind of Dog that her Prey Drive over took EVERYTHING, A House cat, etc. etc. Pretty much Anything was Game to her. She had to Stay in Kennel, or Tied. The occasions i did bring her in the House she was truly a Baby! She was VERY Loyal to me.

1 last story on my Female and what she was like, I had her Bred at 1-1/2, maybe 2 years old to a Patterdale Terrier, We had hoped the pups would end up a Little more Docile, These were to be Strictly hunting Dogs, and only went to Working/Hunting Homes (2 of these pups made the Cover of EarthDog/Running Dog) My Little Female had 7 Pups if memory serves me right? Anyway, As she was having her pups I made the mistake of picking 1 up, She was in the middle of Giving birth, as quick as she Seen that Pup in my hand She lunged, Grabbed it, and Shook. Her Prey Drive LITERALLY overtook her Motherly instincts. In order to Handle, mess with the Pups i had to Get Her away from them, I believe she would have done the EXACT same thing when they were 8 Weeks old and Ready to leave. They are NOT for the Faint at heart, At least Mine wasn’t.