HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German jagdterrier
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stand watie
54bore; MudderChuck,

Despite the TRUTH in your posts & other, what chance do you believe a Jagt terrier would have against a 125KG Russian-Domestic hybrid boar.
(I once saw such a feral boar of about 100KG tear-up a well trained & very game Pit Bull/catch dog, that likely weighed at least 25KG. = The Pit got 2nd place in the ugly/bloody fight.)

That's why the Texas Blue Lacey was "created" from coyote, English Shepherd, wolf, pit bull & perhaps other breeds to herd, trail & fight wild hogs..
(Truth is that the Lacey family is VERY SECRETIVE about what breeds were actually used to create the breed. = Truthfully, outside of the Lacey family, I don't think anyone KNOWS the "mix", though I know one small animal vet in Athens, TX who CLAIMS to actually know.)

Personally, IF I really wanted a BIG/TOUGH & game dog that can actually WIN a fight in the brush with a big boar, it would be a pup from a local breeder, who calls his dogs: SPOTTED CURS. - He's been breeding his "local variety" of Cur for likely 2 decades plus.
(The males at maturity weight about 40-55KG, with the females about 10KG less. - NO, Mr. Brownlee won't tell anyone his "recipe" either.)
My mechanic's father, Adolphus ___________ de ________________, in south San Antonio has an about 5-6YO male SPOTTED CUR that is steel gray with half-dollar size black spots. = "Fetch" was being "taken for a walk" by one of Adolphus's grandsons in the Fall of 2017 when a pack of feral dogs attacked grandson/cur. - The pack of feral dogs LOST the fight, though Tomas & the Spotted Cur were injured in the melee. = When Steve (my mechanic) & his dad were called to the scene, they found 4 of the dog-pack's members dead & one that had to be put down. The rest of the pack had departed the area.

yours, tex
You have to respect a Wild Boar or feral Pig. most of their instinct is to get away, but they can fight and sometimes will fight. IMO Bay Dogs are your best bet, a dog that will worry and bay a pig into immobility and not latch on.
We do drive hunts for Hogs a couple of times a year here. we sometimes have 20 plus dogs on the drive.

open 24 hours near me