HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is the best rangefinder for bow hunting ??
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I am in general agreement with the two gentlemen above. But there are a couple "ifs" here. Do you only bow hunt and that is all you're going to use a range finder for or do you also hunt with a rifle and are CAPABLE of making shots out to 300 or 400 yards?
If its the former than I'd say yes to any of those you mentioned. If the latter go with the best you can afford. Remember those yardage maximums are for a perfect reflector. An animal doesn't reflect the laser signal as well. Your 1000 yard range finder may only range an animal at 600-800 yards. Yes, I know that's plenty.
As for the magnification, I have a Leupold RX I purchased several years ago and use it for both archer and rifle hunting. I believe it has a 800 yard rating. But it has 6X magnification and I wish it was more. I like the magnification for archery hunting because it eliminates my need to carry my binos. Believe me it has save a couple small (less than 2") spike bucks and button bucks form getting poked when I thought they were doe and had an anterless tag in my pocket.