HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Turkey Hunting Memory
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 AM
WVDanimal
Spike

Few years ago I was going after a bird just a few miles from the house that was staying near the road so I decided to take my Toyota Corolla instead of my truck. Did the normal call, reposition, call, change this, change that and the usual loop around the mountain but couldn't get him to come to the call because he was content with his one hen. He finally clams up and I call it quits and head for the car. I pop over the road bank a mere 30 yards from my car and there he stands full strut in the dirt road with his hen feeding by his side. This is all private road by the way. It was a classic game of who was faster and on this morning it just so happened to be me and the shotgun who came out on top. All proud of myself, I let him flop right up to the car as I put all my gear in the back seat. Did a quick field tag and chucked him in the truck on my little gas saver. Less than 10 minutes from pulling the trigger I was in my driveway and ready to pose my longbeard in the yard for some photos. I opened the trunk to see the bird standing there with his head down low glaring at me like a charging bull ready to pounce! It scared me so bad I slammed the trunk lid down before I had even realized what had happened. Now it was decision time. I thought of just standing by the trunk with my shotgun and letting him come out like skeet shooting but what if he flew toward the house or the neighbors? Scratch that idea. So I get an idea to stick a metal yard rake in there and bring his feet back to where I can get a hand on him. So I opened the trunk about 3 inches, slide the rake to his feet and every time it would touch his feet, he would simply just step over it back and forth. Scratch plan #2. I decide that it's all or nothing, I was going for it. I position myself center of the trunk, quickly open the trunk and do my best stage dive tackle! I'm not a real big guy and we all know that these birds have some power in their wings right? So I'm all in from my knees up but I'm on top when the battle begins. It was kinda surreal because every time he flopped or I flopped, the trunk would fly up/down, up/down so it was going dark/bright, dark/bright inside the battle cage. Now on top of all this, I strangely remember the vast amount of feathers flying everywhere as I struggled for anything to hold onto. Amongst all the chaos, I finally felt his head around behind me and managed to seal the deal. When I crawled out of the trunk and my head cleared, it looked like it had snowed turkey feathers in a 30 yard radius around the car. Of course the first priority was to look around to see if any of the neighbors were watching.....