HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Turkey Hunting Memory
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Yall don't laugh but my most memorable (not favorite) was when I was hunting a little piece of public land a few years back. Hadn't had any luck for most of the season but kept at it as always. Ended up taking a nap and woke up to a jake gobbling at my decoys. The gun laying beside me!!

This area was not in the woods but more of a grass prairie so judging distance can be tough, especially when it happens that way. Needless to say I was able to reach down and slowly pick the 12 g up and boom. Bird fly's up in the air flops over and immediately gets up and fly's over me. I let out 2 more shots with feathers flying everywhere. The jake lands and takes off running across a plowed wheat field. I thought I had completely screwed up when he turns and starts running right at me!! I'm out of shells so I drop my vest and gun and pull out the buck knife but when he sees me he starts running away in a zig zag pattern with me giving chase lol. Every time I would get ready to snatch him up he would kick and fly about 5 ft and I would hit the dirt rolling. This happened about 4 times and I said heck with it lol. Again I watched him run away to about 300 yrds out then turn around and run at me again almost like he was taunting me. He ran right by me and to a bush in the fence line and laid down. I went back to the truck (1/4 mile away) and grabbed another shell. Put a sneak on the bush and sure enough he was still there. Let him have it from about 5 ft away. To this day I'm not sure if I am happy or sad no one got video of that!!!