HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Turkey Hunting Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 08:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

My favorite was a lesson learned I use each time the opportunity presents itself.
I was running and gunning. I had a real nice Tom working 60 yards in front of me. In the woods of upper Michigan you never know what you find.
Well after moving twice I was pinned against an old maple with an old abandoned model T pickup in front of me. The Tom was only 30 yds on the other side gobbling his fool head off but would not budge. I could not see him.
I tried everything and then I attempted cutting. This in the early 90s.
Upon cutting quickly and trying to get my gun up a hen appeared from behind and she was really ticked. She yelped and hollered all the way to that strutting gobbling Tom I still could not see. She walked mere yards past me around that abandoned wreck to that Tom.
Usually that means game over.
Once she got around the truck I hammered her with my cutting again. She answered immediately.
We did a bitch fest for 4 sequences.
I matched her Yelp for Yelp. Cluck for cluck. She stopped talking so did I! When she started so did I. She got loud I got louder.
Well the start of the 4th sequence was all she could take. I could tell she was on the move coming my way. I got the gun up and put the call down.
She came running and stopped a few yards away just screaming at the end of my feet. I didnt blink and tried not to hyperventilate. I could see the Tom in full strut moving parallel to us. It was thick woods. But I did have a small clearing at 20 yds out and that Tom was heading towards the clearing. But my gun was not pointed at that opening and I knew if I moved even a muscle game over. She would sound the alarm.
So I waited till the strutting Tom hit that clearing. In one single move I put my shotgun barrel on that strutting Tom
The hen saw that and sent out an immefiate alarm putt, which made the Tom come out of strut and pop his head up. I had my shot to which I did not hesitate.
Lesson learned.
Thus over the years I cant tell you how many times I have a gobbling Tom only to get a hen tell me shut up. NO hen tells me that.
I'll hit that hen everytime with banter just a bit louder and more intense than the real thing.
After all. Think about it. You cut your wife off in mid-sentence and about the 3rd or 4th time you had better run or duck. As here comes the flying fry pan or a scurrying wife with rolling pin.
Learn to tick off ladies boys!

Ps
Not responsible if you practice this on your wife or girlfriend

JW

Last edited by JW; 05-31-2019 at 08:32 AM.