HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing
Thread: Field dressing
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 04:40 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by YTCLT
I’ll add a couple quick points. Dragging head first does work better because of the way the fur lies. When that was my only way of getting deer out I’d tie the front legs to the neck of a doe and/or put them between the antlers on a buck and drag head first. It makes the deer sleeker and it gets hung up less. However, if you shoot something you want to mount you have to be careful dragging because you can mess the cape up pretty badly. Finally, the game carts are great...when I got one I’d gut my deer, then walk all my gear out, remove heavy clothes and maybe even change out of hunting gear althougher if I could and go back and get the deer.
Good points but just remember if you go back to your vehicle to drop off your gear and change clothes you must still follow the game laws to pick up your animal. That means having your hunting license with you (displayed if required) and wearing the correct amount of fluorescent orange if required. Another idea for safety using a cart. Swap out the black straps with orange ones or tie some orange surveyors tape around the animal.