HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bear hunting 101
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Patience and luck. I know what your dilemma is living in PA. But there are things you can do to up your odds. You will probably get some more advice so I'll list what I can remember off the top of my head. From my experience bears aren't all that hard to kill with the right equipment. But they are tough critters.
1. As far as equipment a bow with a minimum of 45-50 # draw weight. (Use the heaviest bow you can draw easily and shoot accurately)
2. A strong cut on contact/sharp. broadhead would be my first choice. (if you're using a bow in this range stay away from a mechanical broadhead).
3. Scout the area you plan on hunting. Look for food sources. If you're hunting in the fall bears are trying to fatten up for the winter and will eat just about anything.
4. This sort of goes along with #3 but when bears are pressured from human activity they tend to head for the thickest nastiest stuff they can find. Look for trails going in and out of such places and set up a stand.
5. Where I hunt the mountains have shelves or step in them. They know that hunters in the area like to walk the tops of the mountains along existing paths. I've found that the game will travel on these flatter areas along the side usually the ones closest to the top.
6. Don't be fooled by a bear's eyesight. True they don't have the best eyes but they can see movement and IMO they are a smart animal.
7 Eliminate you scent as much as possible. A bear gets one whiff of you and he's gone, no ifs ands or buts.
Good luck