HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of having my own broadheads made
Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Granted I'll give you that. But if you go too heavy, even though you have more energy (call it KE or Momentum it doesn't really matter)
But it does matter and clearly you still fail to understand or grasp the differences in KE and MO as it applies to bowhunting.

your arrows may not fly as well as they would if they were properly spined for your draw weight and length.
Nonsense. Pure nonsense. You continue to operate under the misconception that a bowhunter will simply select the wrong spine for their arrows and wont match the spine to the bow speed and head weight. Its a given that hunters will select the proper spine so I cant for the life of me understand why you keep bringing up a moot point. Its a non-issue and you can expect that arrows will be spined to the bow and broadheads selected. Whether shooting 85 grain heads or the Bishop 600 grain broadhead, all know that your arrow has to be spined and why arrows come in more than just one spine. You do, I do it, all bowhunters do it so I don't understand why you think bowhunters will shoot a heavy head but select the wrong spine.

I shoot 63# and shoot a 29" shaft with 100 gr head. My recommended spine for my Gold Tip arrows is 340 (8.2 gpi). However I go with a 300 (10.9 gpi) which gives me more weight and better arrow flight/groups. The IBO minimum of 5 gr per lb of draw weight is too light for hunting IMO. It makes the bow too loud and puts a lot more stress on the equipment.
Cool story. Make sure you get the correct spine for the broadhead weight you shoot. That is a non-brainer. You are going to grasp this eventually, Keep reading, Im not ready to give up on you yet.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 11:28 AM.