HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of having my own broadheads made
Old 04-29-2019, 03:51 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4355423] Going to relate this a little farther. Let's say you have a bow that shoots a 420 gr arrow with a sharp 2 blade BH at a modest 300 fps. [quote]

"Modest" 300 FPS???. LOL

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That will give you a KE of just shy of 85 ftlb. (with a momentum factor of .56; :whatever the heck that means)
Actually the KE will be less than 84 so your calcs. are not correct. The .559 slugs (that you dont understand) is what keeps the arrow going forward and is far more important than KE.

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4355423] Now take that same bow and replace the 100 gr BH with your 175 gr 4 blade BH. The weight difference in the BH alone will lower your speed down the 285 fps. Your KE will be about 89.3 ftlb. (and a momentum factor of .63 slug ft/sec). [quote)

Yes, more momentum and more penetration and a more lethal setup. You are starting to catch on (quite by mistake so stick with me and we will get your mind right)

However now your arrows may be under spined with the heavier head. So now you have to go with a heavier shaft. So we move up the the next spine. Now your shooting a 600 gr arrow and your speed has dropped to 264 fps or there about. Now you have a KE of 92.9 ftlb. (with a momentum factor of .70)
Yes, now you are getting it, More Momentum and less fret over KE. You are on a roll. And again, the obvious statement about properly spined arrows. It goes without saying.

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4355423] So with your heavier BH you will lose approx 36 fps [quote]

Who cares? Speed does not kill. Momentum does. Its drives the arrow forward.

and gain almost 8 ftlb of energy and your momentum factor will increase by .14 slug ft/sec.
Yes, yes, yes. Now you are getting it. Momentum kills. Its keeps the arrow moving forward. You are starting to catch on.

Additionally your 4 blade design will create more friction
You mispelled "do more damage and cut more stuff to make the animal bleed".

Not to mention those heavy arrows will likely be way over spined for your bow.
You continue to assert that a hunter is given only one set of arrow shafts to use his entire life. I will say it clearly YOU NEED TO PROPERLY SPIN THE SHAFTS TO THE HEAD WEIGHT YOU USE. This is obvious so I dont know why you think people dont already know this.

You can disagree with me which you probably will and I can live with that. I'm just giving my personal opinion base on fact and figures.
You have offered opinion, I have offered self evident truths. Im operating with facts and you are making statements in error and bad opinions. (and spending far too much time thinking people dont understand how to spin their arrows for some odd reason)