HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of having my own broadheads made
Old 04-29-2019, 03:36 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well DIY I'ms sorry but I have a bit more seasons under my belt then you and successful hunting all eastern and most western big game.
And still you got it wrong.

You have your opinion and I have mine so we can agree to disagree.
I am not speaking of opinion. Im speaking of fact. You are mistaken.

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4355405]But I'm not mistaking KE for momentum.

Yes. Yes you are.

In days of yore before compounds when bow reaching 180 fps were fast a heavy arrow/broadhead combo was pretty much a necessity for good penetration.
Yes, high momentum and low KE setups. Thanks for proving my point and reversing your erroneous position.

But with today's speed bows you don't need heavy arrows.
Hear again you are wrong. (thats not an opinion by the way, its a self evident truth)

It's simple physics really.
And yet you continue to get it wrong.

If your BH is sharp and your aim is true you will kill any deer or black bear with an arrow/BH weight of about 400 gr.
That is true even with a field point. But not all aim is true and animal move before the arrow strikes. You are speaking of a perfect world. Bowhunting is seldom perfect. Stuff happens so being properly geared 100% of the time and prepared for the worst case, makes those few times when perfection happens, even sweeter. Plan and build for the worst and there will be fewer "I hiut a big buck and cant find it" threads.

Now if I were after bigger critters like brown bear of larger African game the yes I would want a heavier combo.
You are making my point again and sometimes deer can absorb a great deal and keep on living so gear up with heavy setups like you are trying to kill large animals and you wont be disappointed.

You for get to mention as some readers may not be aware of is that if you use a heavier BH you may have to also go to a heavier spined shaft to compensate for it.
That is so obvious as to not require mention. Stick with me, we will get your mind right.