HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of having my own broadheads made
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Going to relate this a little farther. Let's say you have a bow that shoots a 420 gr arrow with a sharp 2 blade BH at a modest 300 fps. That will give you a KE of just shy of 85 ftlb. (with a momentum factor of .56; :whatever the heck that means)
Now take that same bow and replace the 100 gr BH with your 175 gr 4 blade BH. The weight difference in the BH alone will lower your speed down the 285 fps. Your KE will be about 89.3 ftlb. (and a momentum factor of .63 slug ft/sec). However now your arrows may be under spined with the heavier head. So now you have to go with a heavier shaft. So we move up the the next spine. Now your shooting a 600 gr arrow and your speed has dropped to 264 fps or there about. Now you have a KE of 92.9 ftlb. (with a momentum factor of .70)
So with your heavier BH you will lose approx 36 fps, over 10% in velocity and gain almost 8 ftlb of energy and your momentum factor will increase by .14 slug ft/sec.
Additionally your 4 blade design will create more friction as it travels through bone and tissue than a cut on contact 2 blade BH. So your slight gain will be diminished by the design itself. Not to mention those heavy arrows will likely be way over spined for your bow.
You can disagree with me which you probably will and I can live with that. I'm just giving my personal opinion base on fact and figures.