HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of having my own broadheads made
Old 04-28-2019, 09:33 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Well DIY I'ms sorry but I have a bit more seasons under my belt then you and successful hunting all eastern and most western big game. You have your opinion and I have mine so we can agree to disagree. But I'm not mistaking KE for momentum. Without KE (speed and mass) you won't have momentum. In days of yore before compounds when bow reaching 180 fps were fast a heavy arrow/broadhead combo was pretty much a necessity for good penetration. But with today's speed bows you don't need heavy arrows. It's simple physics really. If your BH is sharp and your aim is true you will kill any deer or black bear with an arrow/BH weight of about 400 gr. Now if I were after bigger critters like brown bear of larger African game the yes I would want a heavier combo. You for get to mention as some readers may not be aware of is that if you use a heavier BH you may have to also go to a heavier spined shaft to compensate for it.
I feel I needed to edit this post because while I see your need for a heavy shaft/BH combo I don't feel it is necessary for deer or blackies. That being said your reasoning is the same reason I like using a .45-70 for these same animals when I could just as easily use a .243. Same principle just different tools. The animals will be just as dead.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-28-2019 at 09:37 AM.