HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 410 for turkey ?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

the thing about a pattern on paper., doesn't really show how well it will do with power to get thru a turkeys feathers, all the more so if its all strutting and has its shields active LOL
I think they keep pushing things to stir interest in the sport, and trying to get kids involved!
as honestly without kids getting into hunting, the sport will be in trouble as us older hunters die off!

again the 410 does have the means to kill a turkey when things are right, but there are better tools out there
I would honestly question if a 410 with a HOT turkey load, and a lighter gun, has any LESS recoil than maybe a milder load in a 20 gauge or even 12

but I do think many of the smaller 410,'s maybe do fit smaller framed kids and hunters

I again would not recommend using one for turkeys
410 in a revolver make a good snake gun, IMO
other wise, I have never had much need for a 410!

I will add this, back in my more intense sporting clays' days
I used to know a die hard sporting clay's shooter, that shot over a 100 in a row using a beat up, duck tape holding stock together 410 single shot, shooting from the hip!
he was a LONG time trick shooter from up in NY,
it was a lot fun to watch him, out shoot guys with HIGH end shotguns, that used to laugh at his gun and snicker at him having it at some of the higher end shoots!
so, some times its NOT the gun or gauge, but the skills of the shooter! LOL