HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifles in Illinois
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Bucktail_Bob
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Bucktail, would you care to elaborate on the reasons why .30cal or larger and the other stipulations you suggested? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why those restrictions exist. In my younger days, I took many whitetail with a .243. Are you suggesting that a .243 is not large enough for whitetail sized game? The many thousands of deer taken with one every year would strongly disagree. I find it dumbfounding that these states come up with this off the wall crap saying some calibers are too small for deer that have not only been killing deer for many decades, but some that are restricted have hundreds of pounds more energy than some that are allowed. Look at the 30/30 vs the 7mm08 and you will see just exactly what I mean.
I am not suggesting anything, I pulled this info off the bill that is trying to be passed in Illinois.
Looks to be straight walled cartridges only over .30 cal. If the bill is passed and put into law. It’s probably for safety reasons not allowing bottleneck cartridges .
There are several handgun cartridges that are chambered in rifles which will be legal, 357 Mag., .41 Mag., .44 Mag., .454 Casull, 460 S&W and .500 S&W. Along with a few rifle cartridges, .444 Marlin, 45-70, .450 Bushmaster, I’m sure there are a few more.
I’m not sure if I’ll tool up if the law is passed, no need to.