HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Dave, if I were you......

I would forget about the heavy items that may require a wheelbarrow.

Hunt off the ground. Take a light pop up blind if you feel better about using it. Other than that, a small back pack with your essentials. A knife, rope, water bottle, cell phone, compass, rags, your license, your ammo, snacks, and that's all you need to carry.

I rarely hunt out of a tree stand. Although they certainly have their benefits.... If it's going to be a huge physical challenge to get a stand in the woods I just wouldn't worry about it.

Lots of deer get killed every year by the guy sitting on a log.

Then have a plan for getting your deer out. Phone a friend, take a cart or a wheel barrow, or just take a drag rope and go very slowly.

I find enjoyment and pleasure in simplicity. The more things that have to be packed, carried, and worried about just adds more headache to the hunt. Especially if you have physical limitations.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.
​​​​​​Also, something to consider. In the areas you'll be hunting private land can be difficult to access. However, if you can make contacts with land owners, it's not impossible. If you're involved in a church, clubs, if you sit at McDonald's every Tuesday morning with the retired guys.... Just put the word out that you are looking for a place to hunt. You might be surprised what turns up.

-Jake