HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wyoming Antelope Guide
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Don't underestimate the effect of hunting pressure, on public land, lots, on private land, not nearly as much. A guide can get you on private, unpressured land. For example, I've used a guide in WY twice for my wife and I. Two trips, 6 antelope between us (got doe tag the second trip, love the meat). We hunted a 50,000 acre private ranch. You could drive within 50-100 yards of a group of antelope and as long as the truck didn't stop or you get out, they stayed put and just watched. There is one ranch road that goes into a public section, we went over there twice to check it. The second the truck became visible, POOF every antelope in sight was off and running.

It's all in what you want from the hunt. Antelope is probably the most doable DIY hunt. With a guide, you get more of a "vacation hunt" than a hard hunt. They supply food, bed and access to land, as well as someone who knows how to hunt them. Hunting antelope in the WIDE OPEN plains is very different than deer hunting in PA (or NH where I"m from). It's all spot/stalk and learning what you can get away with from different ranges as you close the distance to shooting range is fun, but if you are going to get frustrated with blown stalks, consider a guide.