HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some Opinions This Pattern?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

To be honest - to me, it appears you're shooting low with some noticeable gaps in the pattern at 30+ yards. Do you have any optics or even adjustable iron sights (like Tru-glo, etc.)? Those would also be relatively cheap and could help with targets past 30 yards. You can kill a turkey at 30+ yards - but the way your pattern opens up at 45, I'd be hesitant to go much past 40 (and hope it's a field shot).

Many guys shoot the Tightwad chokes with good success - the key will be fighting the right ammo. I like to use a bunch of different target loads from the manufacturers - in my experience, once I find the brand that my shotguns shoot the best then I try a turkey load from that manufacturer - and it's usually a keeper. The Longbeards are one of the best shells out there for the money, but you still need to experiment with size and choke.

I recently switched from #6 to #5 Longbeards in my turkey gun because I found I get a better pattern with increased penetration with #5 at all distances, with drastic improvements at 40+ yards. My 13yo son and wife also use my gun, so I like the added comfort of knowing if they misjudge distance the combination will still drop a big tom (my wife toppled a 3yr old last year at 51 steps in the woods).