HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

I no longer get mad when hunters get between me and a gobbling bird. I just take it as a compliment - they obviously thought my calling was an actual bird, and they were merely putting themselves between the tom and hen.

Erno - don't assume they shot out of the tree. If they snuck to within 75 yards of the tree the toms will sometimes pitch down shortly after they start gobbling, especially late in the season. One season in CT, late in the season towards the end of May, I mistakenly got closer to a bird than I liked. The only thing that saved me was he was gobbling on his own and was facing the opposite direction AND I saw his fan in the tree before he saw me. He was less than 50 yards from the deer path I was on. I immediately hit the ground and got situated against the closest tree - and he obviously heard me rustling in the leaves. He went into strut but was now looking in my direction - so I yelped way earlier than I normally would. I think it was a consequence of the entire situation - full foliage, damp morning, rustling leaves, etc. - but as soon as I was done yelping the old bird dropped down and went into strut only 25 yards from my tree. As soon as he dropped his fan he was dead, and I was in my truck and headed home shortly after official sunrise. When you get in close late in the spring it can happen REALLY fast and they can hit the ground well before daylight, I suspect because they want to make sure they're the first tom the hen sees.