HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - we all have done it, but why do we care?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I used to have a William Evans double rifle in 450/400 31/4 Nitro Express. It was an over lever action with exposed hammers and was fully engraved with the rose pattern. That gun always got me involved in discussions at the range and I always had people begging to shoot it. I never allowed it simply due to cost. The only source of factory ammo was Kynoch and they ran $11 a round. I handloaded and it still cost over $4 a round. Call me stingy but I wasn't gonna let the average Joe shoot up that expensive ammo. In a fit of extreme stupidity I sold that rifle off and doubt I will ever own another like it.

This is a photo of the rifle (the only one I have) from when I advertised it for sale. It was made in 1898 for a minor member of the English Royal Family and had all the original paperwork as well as the original leather covered oak case. It was ordered as a rifle for tiger hunting when such things were legal. I really wish I still owned that gun. I took it to Africa once but never shot anything with it and that still distresses me.

Last edited by flags; 03-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.