HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 7600 jams, stiff action
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Texaco
Spike

Hi All,
I read a post about a 7600 that would not go into batery or took excessive force to get it into battery when chambering a round. This may help. The 7600 uses a "circular" half moon extractor ring inside the bolt face. When the bolt is worked forward, the shell is chambered and the cartridge rim expands the ectractor ring which allows the cartridge rim to recess into the bolt face while going into battery. If the cartridge rim hangs up on the extractor ring and it does not expand, the gun will not go into battery. On inspection, I found that the rounds were hanging on the edge of the extractor ring. The fix:: Order a new extractor ring from Brownells. (The extractor ring should not be reused once removed) Carefully break the edge of the new extractor in the area of the ectractor claw. I used a diamond dremmel and then Flitz polish to smooth this area. Install new extractor ring. This significantly eased the force needed to put the gun in battery. As always, do not attempt unless you are competent.
Attached Images