HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how much better a hunter would you be...
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 05:55 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I do it bass ackwards. I spot a likely area, I walk a grid or the forest edge and spot where the Deer or whatever has been traveling to or from food and/or feeding, I give it a couple of days for my scent to disperse then sneak back in before daylight and park my arse in a likely spot.
My thought has always been they have a better nose than I do, they can hear better and often see just as well or better than I. No matter how quiet you move, all it takes is one stick cracking or spooking a noisy bird to blow your hunt. Spreading your scent all over can also be a low percentage move.
I've had some success sneaking up on game, but IMO it isn't a high percentage tactic.
Sitting quiet and nearly motionless for hours takes training. Many people just don't have the patience. I really can't remember going any three days in a row in one spot without something shootable wandering along, IMO if you park and stay still the chances of you hearing or seeing them before they see you increases.
I have some spots I hunt fairly often, I know them well and have a good idea what sort of game is around, I swear most of the game within a quarter of a mile knows I'm there. They are much more attuned to their surroundings than I am.