HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to buy a couple of hunting rifles
Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
So a 6mm Creed instead of a 6.5mm? I'm curious and very interested in this choice.
I had found the 243win to be the most efficient and effective-without-concessions cartridge for deer species probably 12-13yrs ago (I know it was before I met the crazy redhead I dated before I met my wife). But the 243win really needed a custom fast twist barrel not available on most factory rifles to handle the heavier pills I prefer for the job. Enter the 6mm Creedmoor - not quite the same speed, but dang close, and commensurately better barrel life, and a SAAMI twist recommendation compatible with 105-115grn bullets.

I have had two 6.5 Creedmoor’s, I don’t really find much utility in it. More recoil and more drop than my 6’s, but not really enough “more killing power” for elk/bear/moose/bison type game for me to say my deer and elk rifle should be the same rifle. It’s a better option for the average hunter/shooter who wants readily available factory ammo and wants better barrel life, but for me, I’ll burn out 6mm’s with a smile on my face.

I’ll admit, I’m hard pressed to say 6 Creed over 6 Dasher, and I have been very happy with 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC, and really lump these into the same class for hunting applications. Any of these, or 6 SLR, fast twist 243win, or a half dozen other 6’s, same same on game...

I’ll also admit, I just got my hands on a 6mm Grendel variant barrel, 243 LBC, which I am very excited to play with this year. Should be able to send 105 Hybrids out at 2850fps, basically as fast as my low node in 6 creed in my last 24” barrel - but running ~28grn 8208 instead of 40grn H4350.