HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many of your gentlemen regularly use a climbing tree stand?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Many years ago I bought my first climbing tree stand. It was a baker and it worked as promised but was a real gut buster due to the design. It wasn't safe as compared to more modern climbing tree stands. I never fell with it but I know quite a few people who did. I finally decided to scrap it and it was turned into a fixed stand at my camp. Years later I bought a Summit Viper climbing stand. I am 70 and still use it every year. I have several lock on stands along with climbing sticks and would rather use my Summit climbing tree stand. I feel more secure in it and it is way more comfortable and I can sit in it all day if needed. The design makes it easy to pack in and set up quietly. Climbing is easy since all you do is sit down and then stand up using your legs rather than arms and abdomen like with that old Baker. I will add, I never use it without wearing my HSS full body harness attached to a safety lanyard with prussic knot. I slide the lanyard up as I go and down as I descend. I am always attached to the tree.