HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trail cam security
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 08:16 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
I am not very knowledgeable about trail cameras or keeping them from being stolen. I also use them only on private land but trespassers sometimes walk thru. I have scrap lengths of fairly light chain that I wrap around the tree and lock to the cameras. These are Browning cameras that have hole to lock the door closed, I always put a lock on them and include the ends of the chain in the lock. I try to cover the chain with old camo material so it won't be so noticeable. If someone steals the camera they will have to cut the lock or chain or the camera door to get it. Mounting them high has been suggested but I haven't been doing that. So far none have been stolen but I don't use them much and do not leave them out for long. I try to place them where they won't be easily noticed, if possible.
chains and locks and cables, et cut here so fats its NOT even funny
I have had about 25-35+ cam's stolen off private land locked to tree's this way
and this is on land cam's get checked weekly and there is a posted sign every 25-30 ft around its 3+ mile border!
sign's mean NOTHING to most folks here in PA sadly
I catch a good 50+ people a yr ALL yr long trespassing too by the way
and they all THINK Its FINE to trespass at will, even seeing the sign's
and IMO< many folks that SEE cam's and ARE trespassing are even HIGHER odds of them coming back to steal the cam to cover up they were there(no pic's left to show them)
locks and chains only work on honest folks, and well, since folks trespassing are already breaking one law, they seem way more at odds of breaking more laws(stealing)

placing camera's up HIGH, can help, but I have had camera's as high as 10 ft get stolen and one's above that that got SHOT by trespassers!
trespassing folks can be pretty evil suckers!

I wish our laws here were a LOT stronger to MAYBE help curb the free for all so many seem to think they have here in PA
and most ALL law enforcement agency's here also seem to think trespassing is a joke and NOT worth there time, so there not even much help at all
they like to play the pass the buck game
call one dept(say local cops, they say call state police, if in hunting season they say call the game warden
game warden will tell you its NOT There job here, all though they can enforce any LAW in PA they want, , they have that power!!
they just choose NOT to work with trespasser's and pass the buck to other agency's!)
big circle of run around here, passing the buck, and why its such a problem here IMO!
fines are so low and almost impossible and not worth the land owners time to take to court!
SUCKS
some days I really WISH I could just shoot em LOL