HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - just curious, ever purchased a rifle specifically for cast bullet use.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I spent a lot of my reloading career casting or loading factory cast bullets, and I just never have taken a shine to it. With the availability of copper solids on the market today, I may never hunt with hardcast ever again. Outside of a few cowboy action shooting excursions here and there, which I’m passing farther and farther from every year with the culture and rule changes there, I don’t have any other reason to shoot cast bullets anymore. I never bat an eye at spending a nickel more per round for a jacketed bullet over a cast bullet, and many of the hardcasts I used to shoot cost more than some jacketed bullets. Just not my cup of tea.

I gave away most of my casting gear - I handload to facilitate precision and volume, but reloading is not my hobby. Some folks only shoot to have empty brass so they can reload, but that’s not me.

But that said, I have bought several rifles with the intention of their barrel never touching a copper bullet, ever. 357, 44-40, 44mag, 45-70, 38-55, 45-90...

I never did care for shooting cast in Safari magnums. Just not my bag, but I know a lot of guys who do use hardcast 400-500’s in 416 and 458’s to hunt deer.