HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CWD article
Thread: CWD article
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

My feelings on CWD is to play the odds. Here in VT...so far, CWD hasn't been detected so if my deer acts and looks OK when alive and is good when I butcher it I don't worry. I have taken 6 elk out west in Colorado where CWD is an issue but the GMU I hunted was well away from the CWD hot area. I think it is a matter of time before it shows up here in Vermont since it has traveled east of the Mississippi River in the last decade. Neighboring NY, in the Rome area has had it as well as a game farm just north of the VT border in Quebec. Vermont has done all they can to hold it off by not allowing urine based deer lure, no supplemental feeding and closing and banning all game farms. If and when it does show up it will bankrupt our F&W Department so the state is doing all it can to eliminate the chances of contamination. Deer brought back from any state that has CWD can't be whole and has to be butchered with no bone. Personally when it does show and if it is in my area, I probably would continue to eat it but wouldn't share with my grown family.